Pages

May 25, 2010

People

When I say "people" I do mean me too.

A friend told me that her theory is that people are a virus upon the earth. I wont go on...I expect you can guess why she believes this.

Personally, I have several theories as to why we are here. I switch around although some of my theories could probably be squeezed into one big idea, but as yet I am unable to marry them up.

The best exposition I have read in relation to time is Julian Barbour's - "The End of Time". This is a must read for anyone searching for an answer that combines science/physics and divinity. Unlike other scientific books about time, the big bang etc, Julian Barbour's book does not dismiss a soul, or a consciousness that may go beyond the physical.

He suggests (I think) that we are in fact a conciousness moving through tiny moments of time. His idea is that time is made up of moments. To imagine these, we could think of a reel of movie film. Each frame has captured a moment of time. If you run the film, everything appears to be moving. So, the short version of what Julian proposes is that we are conciousness, moving through a series of still moments.

Anyone whoever saw or read Stephen King's: "The Langoliers" will have some concept of this idea, although Julian B does not suggest that langoliers eat past moments as with the film.

Julian B seems to be saying that we are moving across/through some kind of time line, or at least our conciousness is. I am unsure if between the lines he suggests a collective conciousness, however that idea could fit very well too. He does not appear to dismiss a divine intervention, or a maker of sorts either, which is unusual for a scientist.

I certainly felt that what the book told me, I already knew on some level. It hit and moved something deep inside. It was a nice feeling.



No comments:

Post a Comment