Pages

Oct 1, 2010

The Road to Self

Its taken a lot of pain and heart searching to understand that life will not come and rescue me.


Intellectually, I have understood the concept that life is what you make of it. But...on an experiential level I have not really grasped that idea. I have put all my hopes and dreams out there, hoping that hope itself would bring contentment to me.


I now know that what I seek is more spiritual (not religious). My quest is to connect more with nature, life, and with myself. I have been far too busy looking outside. Time for me to turn inwards.


"Physis (or Phusis) is an ancient Greek word very rich in meaning. It is used to refer to life energy as it manifests in nature, in growth and healing as well as in all dimensions of creativity. Physician or physic (as in medicine) and Physics (as in Quantum and Chaos understandings of the world) are both derived from it.
It is used as a concept to concentrate some of the most significant qualities and aspirations of Prof. Clarkson’s work - in honour of everlasting change, unlearning as well as learning, living as well as dying well, bodysoul, the cycle as potent paradigm for human evolutionary processes, the individual and society, relationship and archetype, the importance of nature as teacher and inspiration, the drive towards complexity, quality and wholeness, the co-existence of contradictions. Whether in individuals, children, couples, groups, organisations or artistic work, the central and organising theme is simply to have life and to have it more abundantly.
In contemporary terms we experience ourselves as a global virtual community of enquiry and physis is another name for the complexity concept of auto-poiesis".
“Autopoiesis sees self-generated, self-constituting domains of activity and discourse, (explanatory domains) that are autonomous and incommensurable, each constructing its own self-referential differences and distinctions”.
I have taken this from "In Memory of Physis'" which is actually in memory of Prof Petruska Clarkson whom I had the pleasure of meeting and discussing "bystander" subjects as well as being invited to her colourful and wonderful home.


Love Jen

3 comments:

  1. It is a beautiful journey to find life inside of one's self. It saved me. Completely. I was looking for happiness, pleasure, joy, etc. from the world outside. I was very fortunate to learn from a Buddhist monk that all these things can only be found from within... amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherri thanks for your comment. I have this urge to turn to explore the Buddhist way. Its not easy. I am currently trying to learn to meditate, but am not being very successful and after 10 minutes, get distracted and uncomfortable

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a book that really helps to learn meditation.... it is called "Journey to Awakening" by Ram Dass. He really breaks it down and teaches how to do it in real world terms. Sometimes Buddhist text is hard to read because it is so packed with riddle-like writing. Try sitting for 5 minutes for a few sessions... do short little sessions and add a minute, then another, then another - build it up as you go.

    ReplyDelete